Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Travelling Back to My Vil:

During my car ride back to vil today, I decided to make a list of TYPICAL things that I see because I realized that I tend to only take photos of new things.


1.Bean Sandwich Shacks: The lovely ladies in these partially enclosed (by any kind of found material, tin, cloth, etc.) shacks cook a variety of sandwiches toppered with beans, petite pois, onion sauce, macaroni noodles, tuna, and eggs. I love bean sandwiches and may miss them in America.

2. Taxis & "Alhams" are chaotically scattered in every direction like ants. Don't let this fool you, however, they are the most perceptive drivers. There are roundabouts, no red lights, any side of the road is appropriate depending on the location of the heaping holes, and pedestrians better watch out! I hear that many people start driving before they are teenagers.

3.People:
-Talibe kids beg for kalis/money (I only give them food and in this case half of my pear)
-Street vendors usually sell food items along heavily travelled roads and they come in packs!
-Squatters- (n) people in a baseball catchers stance, that cam be found relaxing under shade trees to avoid standing or getting covered in dust on the floor.

4.The Road, from excellent and new to pothole infested, in conjunction with dinosaur cars, makes travelling an adventure every time. I saw a cross walk, but I couldn't identify why it was needed to go from a small village to the bush on the other side.
5. Termite mounds. They are like Barbies mountains.

6. Head carrying, usually performed by women with any imaginable object!
7. Roadside villages
8. Random little monkeys running across the road and into a tree.
9. 3 herds of cattle that we successfully meandered through
10.Mud brick construction sites or lonely standing walls (because they ran out of money before completion)

No comments:

Post a Comment