Monday, January 16, 2012

My Companion

After two months in village my counterpart/brother popped into my hut to ask if I liked dogs, which we shallowly discuss every time I play with wandering village puppies. When he came back 3 minutes later, I realized that he really meant "Do you want a dog?" So, here is my little furball, Puma. They dont understand why I carry him around or even more so why I would strap him to my chest like a baby. After a man joked about beating Puma, I asked if he wanted to be beaten himself... they found that hilarious. My job in village: 1. to sensitize people to the idea of feeding and treating animals reasonably, 2. comical relief.

3 comments:

  1. He's so cute! Is it usual for volunteers to get a pet during service? I'm heading your way in March and I've heard that cats can be useful for insect duty and such. Can't wait to hear more about Puma as the weeks pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Christine! A lot of volunteers in my regions have a cat or dog. They are great for pest management and comfort. Happy Packing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome! That's what I was hoping for. Hope to meet you at some point in the next two years!

      Delete