Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Off the Grid: Mboor

For the last week I've been in the "town" of Mboor near a few other PC trainees. I am first off happy with all of the people I get to be around, especially my Pulaar classmates, Ben & Jordan. Language has been tough, but we have literally been immersed in it for only 6 days! Yes, it has taken that long to be able to go through the extensive greetings.
My family seems to like me. I try to sit with them and occasionally hold a broken conversation. Basically I'm perfecting my awkwardness. On night one it must have taken my Neene and Babba 30 minutes to tell me that my NEW Senegalese name is Mariyama. Oh. I get a new name. Thanks for the heads up! It's 100% live and learn around here.
I was also the butt of the joke when I brought my laundry out to my Neene when she apparently asked for my CANDLE so I could wash. Not my clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment