Friday, September 16, 2011

Cyber Cafe Update

Im back to my village in Mbour and we found a cyber cafe!! Although Im pretty happy to be able to email and communicate with home, this French keyboard is complicating my life right now. Fact: Africa is more humid than South Carolina. This feeling may be intinsified by the fact that AC does not exist.
Ill be embarassing myself in Pulaar for 2 more weeks in Mbour, then Ill be tested to see if Im actually learning anything. The language is tough. It comes together slowly, but surely (especially with this extreme learning method).
My family seems to like me. I start my day around 7 with babies crying and women sweeping. My Neene always insists on getting my kettle or bucket for bathing. I found out the hard way that you do NOT talk to anyone before washing in the morning... its bad luck. I have a bean sandwich every morning. mmm. Apparently the stereotype is that Americans love beans! Language class has been pretty great. I feel like Im progressing too slowly sometimes, but I am definately putting the time in.
We have started a garden behind the local school! It now contains jaxatu/bitter tomato, eggplant, peppers, and scallions.
Real life: I feel overwhelmed emotionally and sensorily on a daily basis. I also get to laugh at my 101 language/culture faux pas. The food is good (although im going to need supplements) and the people are hospitable.
Wish list: protein powder, aaaany kind of snacks, sanitizer, nice pens...

2 comments: