Friday, March 2, 2012

Welcoming committee

After being away from site for 3 whopping weeks, I finally returned to my sweet, chanting kids. I do mean that sincerely. They sing "Homa J, ay!" over and over while clapping and frolicking around for me, even if I only spend a couple nights elsewhere. At least they like me. Ive been trying to upload the video with no success, but maybe Ill get a better connection at some point. Im told that Im lucky that they seem to care about me so much because the families of some volunteers hardly turn after their time away.

I started a tree nursery with my counterpart/brother, Tijane, in our compound. He is really thoughtful and makes sure Im taken care of. The prep work of even the most simple tasks make themso much more tedious. Prior to planting, we had to collect sand and manure, build a protective fence to keep all of the little e-i-e-o farm animals out, dig a trench to sink the tree sacks into the ground, and finally sink our hands into the sand-manure cocktail to fill our first 100 sacks!
They actually brought us breakfast as we were packing in the soil... I promise I really dont want rice porridge that badly.

The bird is not in its ounces and inches, but in its relations to Nature –Ralph Waldo Emerson

I was presented a gift from my family the other day for my share of cotton picking! I found it difficult to accept a gift from them, but rejection was even more inappropriate. They gave me material to make a "complet" dress set and explained that we would all wear our matching tie-dye clothing together for the next party, baptism, or wedding. See, surely like me.

Contact: I lost my phone 2 weeks ago, but was surprisingly content in village without having any outside contact. I just took a step further off of the grid...
Dont worry nana, I cant stay out here without a phone (temp number: 77 214 1018) . The best part is that someone found it! And the cheery Senegalese man refuses to return it.

No comments:

Post a Comment