Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Official PC Trainee

After a threatening east-coast huricane, I was shipped off to the tourist friendly capitol, D.C. I was immediately at ease and comforted when I met all of the other volunteers. There is almost this unexplainable commonality in the air and finally... there are 54 other people that have been freaking out, questioning as well as answering concerned questions from family, and meandering between the excitement of a journey in a completely new environment and the equal fear of this new place, Senegal.

We had a surprisingly laidback orientation at the capitol, to which I have never been before. Between our group ice breaker activities, shots! (no, no, I mean the needle), and stuffing ourselves full of the last fatty American food for a while, we were actually able to relax and walk around D.C. The botanical gardens were the perfect that sight before departure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt4VYGd178I&feature=channel_video_title


3 hours in the airport + 8 hours on the plane + 2 hours driving to the Thies Training center = a long and confusing day for my body. I for the first time ever took 2 naps in the same DAY.

What I've learned about Senegal:
1. Its the most muggy country Ive ever been in (rainy season)
2. People will do/sell anything for money
3. They know the way around the kitchen! mmm.
4. I would die if I tried to drive here.

No comments:

Post a Comment